Wednesday 5 June 2013

War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells

I recently read War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells on the Aldiko e-reader on my phone. I love the fact I can get out my phone wherever I am and read. Owning a book shop you'd think I'd discourage it, but I really do want people to read as much as possible! I only read the free classics on my phone and have already got through quite a few I would never have read if it wasn't for such ease.
I didn't mean to read War of the Worlds. I had a free half hour as my son was asleep on me and I couldn't move so I browsed the available titles and opted for the H.G.Wells classic, on the advice of a young local author Rae Gee who I met at the Nuneaton library for the World Book Night event.

It was a fine suggestion as right from the beginning it immersed me. The late 19th century setting could easily have been transferred to modern times as the way humanity reacted and coped with the aliens, I felt, would have been exactly the same. The writing was fast paced and the descriptive prose outstanding leaving me with the smell of London in my nose.

If I had to say one negative though it'd be the way the protagonists brother is structured into the story. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed and was surprised by the view of the brother, it just seemed it didn't slot into the story as comfortably as it may have done.

Overall it was a rousing success. I've gone for 7.5 on the old comfometer.

As always, let me know your thoughts.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment